Hluboká nad Vltavou State Chateau
Originally a royal castle on a promontory above the Vltava River, after many changes in 1661 became the property of the Schwarzenberg family. The current appearance of the chateau complex, including the park and the surrounding landscape, was inspired by the trips of Prince Jan Adolf II. Schwarzenberg to Great Britain, who as a representative of an important and wealthy family participated the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1838. As an honorary diplomat of the Habsburg monarchy, he traveled to the coronation with his wife, Princess Eleonora, who greatly influenced castle appearance. Hluboká soon became the seat of the Schwarzenberg family.
The chateau itself was rebuilt in the Baroque style in the first third of the 18th century and maintained its appearance until the romantic reconstruction in the mid-19th century. The inspiration for the reconstruction of the chateau was mainly the royal castle Windsdor.
In 1947 the chateau was nationalized pursuant to a special law (Lex Schwarzenberg). At present, Hluboká Chateau is administered by the National Monument Institute.
The walls and ceilings of the interiors are richly decorated with woodcarvings and noble wood. Some rooms are decorated with paintings by 16th-18th century European masters, chandeliers, stained glass and pottery from Delft. The portraits on the walls depict the most important members of the Schwarzenberg family. Private rooms of the last owners of Hluboká, Prince Adolf and his wife Hilda are also accessible. In the basement of the chateau there is a chateau kitchen with a personal and dining elevator from the beginning of the 20th century.